Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I guess I'll give it a try

So I'm still reading Dallas Willard's book The Spirit of the Disciplines, and on page 158 of my version, Willard lists two broad categories of spiritual disciplines: disciplines of abstinence and disciplines of engagement. Here they are for your reading pleasure.

Disciplines of Abstinence
solitude
silence
fasting
frugality
chastity
secrecy
sacrifice

Disciplines of Engagement
study
worship
celebration
service
prayer
fellowship
confession
submission

If you're anything like me, you've done a pretty good job on the engagement side and a pretty miserable job on the abstinence side. Yet it makes sense, as Willard asserts, that apart from regularly practicing solitude, silence, fasting, and the like, the level of engagement with Jesus that we could experience is minimized. I'm going to make an attempt to try some of these other disciplines over the coming weeks and months and see what happens. You're welcome to join me and we can share our experiences together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home