Friday, December 23, 2005

Attempt #1

Yesterday I took my first tentative steps into the disciplines of abstinence. I have fasted before, but it's been a while, so I thought that would be a good place to start. My experience was a little different than I expected. In the past, a one day fast has not been that big of a deal for me, and therefore did not really accomplish what it was supposed to. But for whatever reason, yesterday was different.

It seemed like whenever I got out of my car, I was near some restaurant that smelled fantastic. The worst was Super Buffet, a fantastic Chinese restaurant with a horrible name. I found myself seriously craving food, but I was able to stop and pray: "Lord, though my body needs food to survive, I need you so much more." By evening, I thought I had made it through, but sitting at home with all of the Christmas cookies and things around, again I started craving. And again I was able to redirect my thoughts, focusing on how much I need Jesus for everything in my life.

By this morning, I was feeling refreshed and excited about the day. This was a good experience for me, and I'm contemplating fasting one day a week. Historically, fasting has been such an important part of being a follower of Jesus that it seems silly not to try to be like those spiritual giants who have gone before me.
God blesses those who realize their need for him, for the Kingdom of Heaven is given to them.
Matthew 5:3 (NLT)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home