Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Updates

It's been a busy couple of weeks, so I'll just bullet point a few life updates...

  • We had a great Thanksgiving weekend. We drove from Minnesota to visit my wife's grandparents in Indiana. It was a little scary because the last time we went there for Thanksgiving (4 years ago) we brought the flu with us and infected a 5 state area. Apparently the high-dose vitamins and supplements saved us this time.
  • Church has been going pretty well. There are so many fun stories of people exploring faith and finding hope and healing. Just to give a sense of what our church is like, we had seven people take our membership class last week. At the end of the class, one person worked through the statement of faith that everyone has to agree to and made some edits. Every time "Jesus" appeared, he replaced it with "God" and every time "the Holy Spirit" appeared, he replaced it with "a Holy Spirit". He told me that he understood if that wasn't acceptable but that was where he was at that point. I told him that we could bend on a lot of things but that Jesus was something that we probably couldn't flex on. He was totally fine with that and will certainly keep hanging out with us and growing, but for now he doesn't get to be a "member", whatever that means.
  • I've decided again that I really don't like fundraising. It consumes my thoughts and my conversations. I'd much rather sit still and let God provide for us, but I also know that he wants us to do our part. I just wish we had our building and could be done with asking people for money. It's very distracting. But it's also very encouraging to see the little miracles as money comes in from surprising and amazing sources. In the end, we'll be so ecstatic and will be able to praise God for the amazing ways that he has provided, but for now, I'm pretty bogged down.
  • I'm trying to finish my Christmas presents for my family. I can't really tell you what they are because they might actually read this, but I can tell you it's taking a lot of time and will be pretty cool when it's finished (hopefully in a week or so...hopefully...)
  • We went to a great church on Sunday. If you're not familiar with Dave Fitch, you need to read his book The Great Giveaway. Anyway, his church is a small evangelical emergent liturgical church called Life on the Vine. It was great to meet Dave again, to meet my blogging friend Geoff Holsclaw who also contributes to The Jesus Manifesto, and simply to enter into a community without being in charge of anything. The people were incredibly warm and welcoming and we very much enjoyed our time worshiping with them.
Good enough for now...

1 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger david MURDER said...

I too am sick of fundraising, even though I've done nothing to help the cause, just the topic feels sleezy, asking for money, begging, whatevs.

It just treads this ground our church has never talked about and its awkwards to go to church and hear people talk about these large sums of money. Its like hearing your parents talk about their sex life.... you just wanna plug your ears and say, 'la la la la'

I missed you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home