Friday, December 28, 2007

Christmas Break

Last night, we returned home from Christmas in Iowa 2007. Great times had by all. It began with the perilous journey south through snow and ice covered highways. You know you're in for an adventure when you see the state patrol closing down the northbound lanes of the interstate behind you. After the fact, we found out that there was a "no towing" order in effect, meaning that if we had gone in the ditch (like the 50+ other cars that we saw along the way) they would not have come to pull us out. Probably the scariest moment was when we saw an SUV on its side in the median with a state patrol officer carrying a young child to his patrol car. We definitely slowed down a little for the rest of the drive.

After arriving, we enjoyed our normal Christmas fare of too many cookies and too many playing cards. My grandpa was there which means that nobody else gets to bid in our classic pinochle rumbles. It was my brother and his wife's first Magstadt Christmas as a married couple. We also participated in the Christmas Eve service at my parents' church - my brother, his wife, my sister and I played and sang a less than memorable version of "O Holy Night".

One of the things we tried to do this year was to give gifts that would be a little more meaningful than just a simple present. For example, this summer we visited my grandpa and interviewed him about his life. I compiled his stories and pictures into a memoir book that I had printed as gifts for the rest of the family. You can download a copy to peruse for yourself here.

All in all, it was a fun time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home