Saturday, August 18, 2007

Like a Child

This week we've been working with a 30-something year old woman who is escaping a pretty destructive lifestyle and is about to check into a year long treatment program. The process of getting her into the treatment facility has been somewhat draining as we've been providing places for her to stay so that she's away from the influence of people who will try to drag her back into the life she is trying to escape.

Yesterday, we ran out of options for her, so we ended up letting her stay at our house. We have no problem with this and, in fact, do it regularly. However, we have recently turned our spare bedroom into our five year old son Jaron's room. The conversation with Jaron where we asked him if he would give up his room for a few days was amazing...

Lori: Jaron, do you know what Jesus says we should do if someone is hungry?

Jaron: What?

Lori: Give them something to eat. What do you think Jesus says we should do if someone is thirsty?

Jaron: Give them something to drink!

Lori: And what if someone needs a place to live?

Jaron: Give them a place to live!

Lori: Right! Jaron, there is a woman that we know that doesn't have a place to live. How would you like to be the person that helps her?

Jaron: All by myself??

Lori: Yes, all by yourself. Would you let her have your room so that she can have a place to live for the next few days?

Jaron: Okay!

This was really amazing to see and it was really wonderful to see my wife taking this as an opportunity to teach Jaron how to follow Jesus.

This morning I was reading the passage about the disciples rebuking the little children for coming to Jesus and Jesus in turn rebuking the disciples. I found myself caught in this place where I am called to approach Jesus as a child and am also responsible for a child. In watching how Jaron responded to this opportunity to serve, I was so proud of his willingness and his love for people. It's sometimes hard for me to realize that Jesus sees me the same way when I respond to him in childlike faith and love. But it's also freeing and exciting to be loved and to know that Jesus is proud of me.

1 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Julie said...

What a precious little boy you have! My heart just melted when I read this. He didn't even ask where he was going to sleep--he immediately said yes! What a Christlike witness. Thanks so much for sharing this; it made my day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home