Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Priorities

I was reflecting this morning on the story of Mary and Martha and recognized that there are times when both approaches to the world can be helpful. For instance, most of the time I'm more like Mary. I like to leave a lot of space in my schedule so that I don't feel the need to rush conversations in order to move on to the next important task to accomplish. A great example of this was yesterday when I was sitting in my comfy chair in the corner of Caribou Coffee. I had my computer out and was just getting set to work on some planning when a couple who has been attending the church showed up and came to join me. If I had been in a Martha state of mind, I probably wouldn't have gotten a chance to talk about the question that was plaguing them: What does it mean to be 'saved'? By simply being available, we were able to talk about some incredibly important things.

Sometimes, however, a Martha personality can bring about some good. Monday nights are pretty busy for me. I have youth group from 6:30-8:30 and my small group after that. Just before youth group last night, I got a call from someone in the church who was out of town but had heard that her son was struggling and needed someone to talk to right away. Since I was in the middle of some things that I couldn't leave, I asked if I could send someone else. We talked and agreed on a person that might be good for the situation. I contacted him and he immediately headed over and spent time with the young man. Because I had too much on my plate that evening, others in the church were given an opportunity to minister and serve which they otherwise might not have had.

This morning I am just feeling grateful that God has work that he wants to accomplish in the lives of his people and that he will use us where we are to bring healing and wholeness to the dark places in the lives of the people of our world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home